Friday, January 11, 2008

Who'd have thunk that the Phoenix Coyotes and "hot team" could be uttered in the same breath?

January 8, 2008, the Coyotes just surpassed the total road wins from last season (13) with a 3-1 win over another hot team, the Calgary Flames. The club is 16-2 when ahead after two periods. The Phoenix Coyotes were on a five-game winning streak before losing to Edmonton 5-2 on January 10.

So what's the secret? Most players say the same thing: we play simple.

Derek Morris admits, "We don't have a lot of guys on defense or on forward that can score a lot of points. We have a lot of guys in the bottom of the system that want to win." And they have found a way to win, although with much help from the new puckstopper Ilya Bryzalov, who is 13-9-1 since being plucked off waivers.

"I think I found a home. I feel here it's my best year in the NHL. I feel trust. I believe in the guys. The guys believe in me. I think we have a great future if we continue working hard and believe in ourselves."

The win in Calgary was also coach Wayne Gretzky's 200th game behind the bench.

-30-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home